“The Black River is a 125-mile-long (201 km) blackwater river that empties into the eastern end of Lake Ontario on the shore of Jefferson County, New York in the United States of America. The origin of the name is not clear, but it may stem from the natural tannic acid that darkens the water in places.” – Wikipedia
Kasama ang MDSCSI ICT Core team at Pangkat ng Kartonistang Mangaakyat.
Getting through the finish line is more important than reaching the top.
We descent as fast as we could because night will catch us in the middle of the trail. We ate and rest for a a while in one of the Lean-to’s. We walk along with other hikers going back to the trailhead. Some of them is obviously lost and they asked us to wait for them. We reached the parking lot by 7:30pm.
A very memorable experience with my dad and younger brother.
We are all beginners… doing mile per hour for 9mile trail… with assaults covered with mud, snow and ice. End up going back and delaying our success in reaching the Mount Marcy summit.
- Wait for the right season; they say July to September is the best season to use this trail
- Bring enough food for camp and during the trail depends on how many days you will stay.
- Water is not an issue, many clean water source nearby but you have to bring bottles and purification system or tablets just to make sure.
- Start the trail as early as you can and make sure to descent while the sun is up. We met some hikers along the way got lost. Good thing we have:
- GPS, compass and printed map; Though the trail is fully guided with trail signs… It is very important to have these tools anywhere you want to hike especially if you are going to trail at night
- Bring Headlamp and flash lights
- Bring stove and enough fuel. Camp fire is strictly prohibited to avoid wild fire.
- The weather in Mount Marcy changes rapidly, you have to bring and wear good clothes to stand cold overnight and while on summit.
- If you are not used to cold weather… you may bring reusable hand warmers.
- Ranger told us that there’s no recent bear sightings but bear canister is required if we plan to stay overnight. So please bring one! 😉
- Dogs are allowed but required to be on leash all the times. So please!?
See the gallery below: